Saturday, August 27, 2011

The cake goes public!...

How excited was I when a dear friend asked me to make her birthday cake? It was my first request from someone other than family (who, by the way, are genetically required to love your cakes!) and I was honored because it was for her big 50th birthday bash!!! It was also the first time that my cake would seen out in public! She gave me free reign to design it so I thought it would be the perfect chance for me to learn to make gum paste roses - after all I had watched tutorials on designmeacake.com a hundred times and it looked pretty simple so I tried it (anyone else see my trend of mistakenly thinking things look simple?). My first practice rose took several hours to complete and this scared me because I wanted to make 15 or so for the cake! So, I decided to invest in some petal cutters and better modeling tools and wow did they make a difference! Even though it still took several hours to make all the roses they turned out well and I fell in love with making flowers! I still have a lot to learn and want to focus on making them look more realistic but not bad for my first time right? :)
The cake was WASC and Bavarian creme filling on the bottom tier and Chocolate Stout and choc hazelnut filling on the top tier - yummmm! Everything is 100% edible, except the candles of course. I was happy with the design and everyone loved the cake - especially the birthday girl!!!





Keep it sweet
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment