Saturday, August 27, 2011

Nicole's Gothic Fairy cake!


I wanted to make something cute and Gothic for my dear friend Nicole's birthday so it had to include a fairy. My first thought was to try to make it out of gum paste but memories of my last attempt kept me from moving forward with that one....plus I didn't want the fairy to look like a chubby ball of dough! :) So, I found the cutest fairy figurine from artist Myka Jelina online and ordered it - it would be the perfect little topper for the cake! I decided on a simple single tier in purple sprayed with smoked amethyst luster dust and accented with gum paste roses and candy skulls. I wanted to make the colors pop so everything was covered in luster dust and the roses even got a little sprinkling of disco dust to give them an extra sparkle. Isn't it amazing what you can do with sugar? I never imaged there would be so many edible products out there to play with - it's addictive I tell you!!! Since I do not have an airbrush gun I opted for this cool little gadget called a Preval Spray Gun I saw on another cake decorators page and it did the trick! Funny how I find so many cake decorating tools in the hardware and modeling clay sections! Even funnier how my Christmas list now includes an airbrush gun! :) The cake itself was Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting and everything except the figuring on top was edible. We had a wonderful time celebrating with Nicole and I hope she enjoyed her cake - I loved making it!




 
Keep it sweet
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment