Saturday, August 27, 2011

The adventure begins...


     I have never been someone that bakes. My baked goodies either came from a box or from the local bakery. I did not even know what fondant was and if you would have told me last year that I would be obsessed with all things cake a year later I would have looked at you like you were crazy. I was more a lover of eating the sweet stuff than making it....that is until I got the idea to make my son's 1st birthday cake. I found a cake design I loved and a local baker who would make it to my specifications for what I thought was a pretty high fee. I was torn between shelling out the cash and trying to make something myself so I started watching YouTube and checked out cake designer pages on Facebook and was AMAZED at all the talented cake decorators out there. I was also impressed at how simple rolling out fondant, stacking tiers, and making homemade butter cream seemed to be....or so I thought! My first lesson learned - it ALWAYS looks easy when someone ELSE is doing it!!!! :) Baking and decorating cakes is WORK!!! There was no pretty apron, no Betty Crocker moments for me, no, it was clouds of flour and powdered sugar all over the place, me crying on the kitchen flour when my fondant tore, and my husband pleading with my not to throw it all away and go buy a cake at Wal-mart...it was a war between me and sugar!! Hours later (and when I say hours I mean 24 with no sleep) the cake was complete and I even mustered up the courage to make my step-daughter a cake as well.
     There were mistakes, LOTS of mistakes, but there were also ooo's and ahh's over what I had created and I felt this sense of purpose and accomplishment - I was in LOVE with this!!! Who knew flour and sugar could be so addictive! So, here I am a couple of months later, a few more cakes baked, many lessons learned with a dream of opening my own little shop one day...who would have thought? This blog will follow me along my way towards that dream...fingers crossed that I make it...and even if I don't my love of the sweet stuff will prevail!


Keep it sweet
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment