Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tackling my fear of the piping bag...

When I first started decorating I completely skipped learning how to use a piping bag with buttercream because I thought it looked easy and I would not have any issues when I finally decided to use one. Well a month or so later when I tried it for the first time I got so frustrated with starting over and over again that I just called it quits. The piping bag and tip can be a little trickier than you think! I actually became a bit intimidated by it, well to be honest I still am, but I decided to try it again yesterday at 5 in the morning because I was up with the kids and all was quiet - for once! :) I have seen so much gorgeous piping work from people like Peggy Does Cake and Dillicious Cakes (find them on FaceBook, you'll be glad you did) that I HAD to practice until I got it right. I started to make a rose cake, which by the looks of this tutorial seems pretty easy, but after scrapping my roses off four times I gave up. To my credit I think it was more my frosting being too soft than me just totally screwing it up again and again but hey...

I remembered seeing some really pretty ruffle/ribbon cakes on FB and found a great little YouTube video (find it here) to help with the technique. I only had to scrap one layer of ruffles off so I was happy and overall it turned out pretty cute. It did droop a bit more than I would have liked but never try this with cream cheese frosting that is to soft to stay in place....trust me. So I've decided to not fear the piping bag but embrace it and try to learn as much as I can and will post all my little creations here!




Keep it sweet
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment